ECOSOC High Level Segment Open Call for Oral and Written Statements (25 March - 5 April 2013)The NGO Branch of the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs is pleased to announce an open call for oral and written statements for the 2013 ECOSOC High Level Segment (HLS) for NGOs in ECOSOC consultative status.
The HLS will include sessions on the Annual Ministerial Review (AMR) and its theme this year will focus on “Science, technology and innovation, and the potential of culture, for promoting sustainable development and achieving the Millennium Development Goals”. The HLS will be held on 1 - 4 July 2013 at the Palais des Nations in Geneva.
This is a unique opportunity for organizations in consultative status with ECOSOC to be heard at ECOSOC deliberations, as well as to contribute to issues of critical concern to the global development agenda. It will also provide a platform to specifically address the issue of scientific and technological innovation, which is a crucial cross-cutting theme for the achievement of the MDGs.
The AMR will provide an opportunity to:
- Fostering access to knowledge;
- Increasing productivity, industrialization, economic growth and the creation of decent jobs;
- Promoting health and access to essential drugs;
- Achieving food security through sustainable, equitable agricultural systems and by raising production and incomes, especially of smallholder farms;
- Promoting renewable energy technologies in order to respond to the dual challenge of reducing energy poverty while mitigating climate change;
- Focusing on science, technology and innovation is also an opportunity to follow up to the Rio+20 outcome, which will have a significant focus on green technologies.
What is the expected outcome of the event?
- A Ministerial Declaration on “Science, technology and innovation, and the potential of culture, for promoting sustainable development and achieving the Millennium Development Goals”; and
- Consideration of recommendations and proposals for actions for ECOSOC, including new initiatives.
High level officials from Ministers of Science, Technology, Innovation, Health, Culture, Development Cooperation, Foreign Affairs, Executive Heads of UN Agencies, Funds and Programmes (including the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), UN Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), UN Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO), World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) and UN Regional Commissions), representatives of civil society, private sector and academia. For more information on the 2013 ECOSOC High Level Segment, please visit the ECOSOC website
How can NGOs participate?
In accordance with ECOSOC resolution 1996/31 and at the recommendation of the ECOSOC Committee on Non-Governmental Organizations and with approval of the ECOSOC, organizations in general and special consultative status are encouraged to make oral presentations to the Council. In addition, ECOSOC resolution 1996/31 also includes a provision for NGOs in general, special, or roster consultative status to submit written statements relevant to the work of ECOSOC on subjects in which the organization has a special competence.
NGOs in general and special consultative are encouraged to submit a brief summary of an oral statement to be heard at the 2013 ECOSOC High Level Segment. Please note that due to the high volume of organizations requesting to speak at the event, we are unable to guarantee your participation. The authority to decide on the list of speakers will be vested in the President of ECOSOC. The request should be submitted online at CSONet by using your organization's username and password. The deadline for oral statements is 5 April 2013.
NGOs in general, special, and roster consultative status are encouraged to submit written statements on the themes of the HLS, including the AMR segment mentioned above. NGOs submitting written statements must adhere to the following guidelines:
- A written statement must be submitted in either English or French;
- A written statement submitted by an NGO in general consultative status should not exceed 2,000 words;
- A written statement submitted by an NGO in special consultative status should not exceed 500 words;
- A written statement submitted by an NGO in roster consultative status should not exceed 500 words;
- Only one written statement per organization can be submitted.