- 3 - 28 July: 120th session - Human Rights Committee
At its forthcoming 120th session in Geneva, the Human Rights Committee will examine the efforts of the following seven countries to implement the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights: Honduras, Liechtenstein, Madagascar, Mongolia, Pakistan, Swaziland, Switzerland. The Committee will also adopt lists of issues on the following countries: Lebanon, Liberia.
The Committee will also adopt lists of issues prior to on the following countries: Peru, Chad, Czech Republic.
- 10 - 19 July: High-Level Political Forum (HLPF) on Sustainable Development
The meeting of the high-level political forum on sustainable development in 2017 convened under the auspices of the Economic and Social Council, will be held from Monday, 10 July, to Wednesday, 19 July 2017; including the three-day ministerial meeting of the forum from Monday, 17 July, to Wednesday, 19 July 2017.
The theme will be "Eradicating poverty and promoting prosperity in a changing world". The set of goals to be reviewed in depth will be the following:
- Goal 1. End poverty in all its forms everywhere
- Goal 2. End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
- Goal 3. Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
- Goal 5. Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
- Goal 9. Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
- Goal 14. Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development
- Goal 17. Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development (to be considered every year)
In accordance with paragraph 84. of the 2030 Agenda, Member States have decided that the HLPF shall carry out regular voluntary reviews of the 2030 Agenda which will include developed and developing countries as well as relevant UN entities and other stakeholders. The reviews will be state-led, involving ministerial and other relevant high-level participants, and provide a platform for partnerships, including through the participation of major groups and other relevant stakeholders.
For more information, please visit the following website: http://bit.ly/HLPF2017
- 17 - 20 July: ECOSOC High-level segment
The High-level Segment of the Economic and Social Council will be held from Monday, 17 July, to Thursday, 20 July, and includes the three days of ministerial-level meetings of the High-level Political Forum. The theme of the 2017 session of ECOSOC is: Eradicating poverty in all its forms and dimensions through promoting sustainable development, expanding opportunities and addressing related challenges. On 20 July, two sessions will be held: the High-level Policy Dialogue with the International Financial and Trade Institutions and the thematic discussion. Held on an annual basis, the High-level Segment represents the culmination of ECOSOC's annual cycle of work and convenes a diverse group of high-level representatives from Government, the private sector, civil society and academia for policy dialogue, review and recommendations on the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and other internationally agreed development goals.
- 25 - 26 July: ECOSOC Coordination and Management Meeting
The Coordination and Management Meetings (CMM) will take place at United Nations Headquarters on 25-26 July 2017.
The CMM have three main functions:
• The review of the reports of the Council’s subsidiary and expert bodies; these include the reports of all Functional Commissions, the Regional Commissions, the Committee on Non-Governmental Organizations, as well as expert and ad hoc bodies.
• The system-wide coordination and review of specific development issues, with a view to promoting a more integrated response to specific areas (for example, gender mainstreaming or non-communicable diseases).
• The consideration of special country situation or regional issues which are on the agenda of ECOSOC (including the work of its Ad Hoc Advisory Group on Haiti).
- 1 August: Intergenerational Dialogues on the Sustainable Development Goals
A United Nations Department of Public Information (DPI) Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) Intergenerational Dialogues event will be held at the United Nations Headquarters in New York City, 1 August, 2017. The event will be titled “Intergenerational Dialogues on the Sustainable Development Goals” and will be co-hosted by DPI and NGO/DPI Executive Committee.
Registration is now open and will close on Monday, 24 July 2017 or when capacity is reached. Register via CSO Net using your organization's username and password. For further instructions, click here.
- 4 - 15 September: 13th Session, Committee on Enforced Disappearances, Geneva
At its forthcoming 13th session in September 2017 in Geneva, the Committee on Enforced Disappearances will examine the efforts of the following countries to implement the International Convention for the Protection of All Persons from Enforced Disappearance: Gabon and Lithuania.
The Committee will also adopt lists of issues on the reports submitted by Albania, Austria and Honduras. To attend, please register here: http://bit.ly/CED13