Also of Interest...
- 4 - 15 September: 13th Session, Committee on Enforced Disappearances, Geneva
At its forthcoming 13th session in September 2017 in Geneva, the Committee on Enforced Disappearances will examine the efforts of the following countries to implement the International Convention for the Protection of All Persons from Enforced Disappearance: Gabon and Lithuania.
The Committee will also adopt lists of issues on the reports submitted by Albania, Austria and Honduras. To attend, please register here: http://bit.ly/CED13
- 4 - 26 September: Events during the month of September 2017 with regard to preparations of the global compact for safe, orderly and regular migration, to be adopted at an intergovernmental conference on international migration in 2018
1. Informal thematic session of the General Assembly on Smuggling of migrants, trafficking in persons and contemporary forms of slavery, including appropriate identification, protection and assistance to migrants and trafficking victims
Where: Vienna International Centre, Plenary Room, Vienna, Austria
When: 4 - 5 September 2017
2. Consultations hosted by the Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA)
Where : Beirut, Lebanon
When : 26 - 27 September 2017
3. Regional civil society consultations
Where: Washington DC, USA
When: 25-26 September 2017
Information, see: https://refugeesmigrants.un.org/regional-civil-society-consultations
- 12 September - 31 December: 72nd Session of the UN General Assembly
The 72nd Regular Session of the UN General Assembly (UNGA 72) will convene at UN Headquarters on Tuesday, 12 September 2017. The General Debate will open on Tuesday, 19 September 2017.
- 22 September: High-level side event on "Sustaining Peace through the Strengthening of Human Rights in International Law"
The Permanent Mission of the Republic of Sierra Leone to the United Nations will be hosting a high-level side event with the Permanent Mission of Costa Rica to the United Nations, the Permanent Mission of the Kingdom of the Netherlands to the United Nations, and the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights entitled, "Sustaining Peace through the Strengthening of Human Rights in International Law", on 22 September 2017, from 3 - 5 PM in the United Nations HQ ECOSOC Chamber.
Member States will share their national experiences about the integration and respect for International Human rights Law as a key component for building and sustaining peace.
To participate in the event, please click on the link provided in the flyer. Please note that space is limited to 200 seats; therefore, special passes will be provided on a first-come-first-served basis only. Directions for attending the event will be provided once the participants RSVP their participation though the link.
- 2 October: Opening of the Economic and Financial Committee (Second Committee) of the 72nd Session of the General Assembly
The 72nd session’s theme is “Focusing on People: Striving for Peace and a Decent Life for All on a Sustainable Planet”. A keynote address will be delivered by a prominent, international expert in the field of development policy to address structural constraints and opportunities regarding the achievement of the 2030 Agenda.
On 11 October, the Second Committee of the General Assembly will hold a joint meeting with the UN Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC), under the proposed theme of “The Future of Everything – Sustainable Development in the Age of Rapid Technological Change”. Organised by DESA, the meeting will focus on the impact of technological advancements on the future of people and planet, and explore the role of innovation in achieving the 2030 Agenda. The Committee will also hold three side events during this session: on the future of work (4 October); on science, technology and inclusive innovation for advancing sustainable development (12 October), and on innovative ways to explore data to understand the gender dimensions of poverty and advance the Sustainable Development Goals (18 October).
More information available at:
72nd session of the UN General Assembly
Economic and Financial Committee (Second Committee)
Economic and Social Council